The Bristol Weaving Mill Ltd
1A Barton Road, St Philips Bristol, BS2 0LF, UK
+44 (0)117 329 3450
Product Development and Sales Manager
Start Date: June 2018 Location: Bristol, UK
Hours: Full time (9am to 6pm 40 hours per week)
Salary: TBC Depending on Experience
We are looking for a strong, creative and technically confident woven designer, ideally with product development and sales experience, to help us establish, nurture and maintain client relationships for The Bristol Weaving Mill through pro-active and responsive communication and design work.
At Bristol Weaving Mill we work across both fashion and interiors, designing, developing and manufacturing product and fabric for a variety of outcomes. End uses include but are not limited to Ready to Wear and Couture Menswear and Womenswear, finished shawls and scarfs, interior drapery, tapestry panels, upholstery and finished interior soft accessories and product such as throws, blankets and cushions.
This job will involve working closely and strategically on sales, building upon the existing client relationships and establishing new ones. Each of our client relationships is based on offering a service catered to their individual needs, with most of our customers seeking not only the small-batch and locally managed production capabilities of the mill, but also looking to us to provide input and direction creatively, offering technical advice where necessary.
The successful applicant will need to be extremely organised with impeccable attention to detail and quality. As a designer, the ability to assume the aesthetic identity of a wide range of clients is essential. They should be able to handle multiple projects at once, while maintaining excellent communication with customers and colleagues. The ability to self-motivate and work independently as well as in a team is essential.
A thorough grasp of the technical elements of weaving and woven fabrics is needed to support the design and administrative elements of this role. These skills are vital for accurate, relevant product development and the subsequent costings and prices for client projects, as well as enabling clear communication with the mill production team, suppliers and subcontractors.
A real passion for hand-weaving and woven design is essential for anyone applying for this role, and our ideal candidate should be looking for a long-term position to join and contribute to a small but growing creative business.
Requirements: The ideal candidate should
– Have a BA degree in Textiles (specialised in woven constructed fabrics);
– Be a confident hand-weaver (practical and technical);
– Have a professional and diverse creative portfolio;
– Have excellent interpersonal and organisational skills;
– Demonstrate a natural aptitude for handling sales and client relations;
– Product development experience is highly desirable but not essential;
– Be proficient in Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office;
– Have experience using Pointcarre weave CAD software;
– Have a full UK drivers licence.
Bristol Weaving Mill Sales & Design Manager Responsibilities:
• Acting as the main point of contact for all customer queries for the Mill.
• Managing client queries, maintaining communications with existing and new clients remotely by phone and email.
• Meeting with existing and new clients in-house and on UK-wide site visits.
• Co-ordinating the aesthetic development of client projects and working closely with clients to develop their design ideas through meetings, trend research, mood-boards, CADs and handloom samples.
• Sourcing for client projects both from existing BWM suppliers, researching, implementing and maintaining new supplier relationships.
• Costing projects for clients, working together with suppliers and the BWM Production Team to create viable designs that work for the client’s price-point.
• Working together with the Production Team at BWM on the viability, scope and limitations of client projects, communicating this with the client and proposing solutions to any unforeseen issues.
• Working together with the Production Team at BWM and suppliers on critical paths for client projects, monitoring this and communicating directly to the client.
• Identifying and targeting new potential clients in the UK and worldwide.
• Managing client accounts, including issuing Quotes, Order Confirmations and Invoicing.
• Hand-weaving design samples for clients and directing other members of the BWM team to weave client samples.
• Setting up of weaving looms from warp winding to threading, reeding and programming the looms, also directing other members of the BWM team on the set-up of the loom for client projects.
• Hand-weaving production meterage.
• CAD designing for clients and client projects using Pointcarre, including simulation of product and fabric, the development of peg-plans and weave structures for the client’s sampling, and the creation of CAD’s for the BWM industrial loom punch-card machine.
• Operating the punch-card machine and operating and trouble-shooting the industrial and hand-looms.
• Thorough and organised digital documentation of design developments including technical sheets, weave plans, photographs and physical cuttings of design samples.
• Input and into all sales and marketing activities including digital such as Instagram and web- site as well as interpersonal such as workshops and demonstrations.
Training is provided for operation of in-house looms and industrial machinery, but a thorough understanding of hand-weaving and woven construction is essential for the role.
Submission deadline 2pm Monday 14th May 2018.Please apply by email with CV and images of your portfolio to Juliet@bristolweavingmill.co.uk