The Bristol Weaving Mill Ltd
1A Barton Road, St Philips Bristol, BS2 0LF, UK
+44 (0)117 329 3450
Role: Production Assistant
Role: Production Assistant
Start Date: June 2018
Location: Bristol, UK
Hours: Full time (9am to 6pm 40 hours per week)
Salary: £18,000 per annum starting wage
At Bristol Weaving Mill we work across both fashion and interiors, designing, developing and manufacturing product and fabric for a variety of outcomes across fashion and interiors. We are looking for a passionate, practical, and highly organised graduate to join our production team on the mill floor to facilitate the daily running of our busy and widely diverse weaving schedule. Working closely with our Technical Director, this role will involve lots of manual and hands-on production tasks such as setting-up warps, threading the looms and making punch-cards for industrial weaving.
Weaving is integral to the role, and the successful applicant needs to be a proficient and passionate dobby hand-weaver with incredible attention to detail and the ability to work well under pressure. Weaving tasks include the weaving of hand-loom samples for client projects, hand-weaving lengths of fabric for clients on our production AVL weaving looms and operating our industrial Dornier power loom.
The role also includes some admin-based production management duties such as supply-chain management, materials sourcing and ordering, organising and tracking our out-of-house processes such as finishing, quality control and cut-and-sew. The ability to work independently as well as in a team is essential as the Production Assistant will also be required to help manage and schedule the weaving rotas and production loom scheduling.
This is a job for a true passionate weaver, someone who loves working with machines and will take pride in a well ordered and maintained production schedule. The ability to calmly troubleshoot problems, both technical and logistical, is essential for this job role. The ideal candidate should be looking for a long-term position to join and contribute to a small but growing creative business.
Requirements: The ideal candidate should
– Have a BA degree in Textiles (specialised in woven constructed fabrics);
– Be a confident hand-weaver (practical and technical);
– Have a strong creative portfolio;
– Have excellent organisational and problem-solving skills;
– Experience hand-weaving lengths of fabric;
– Be proficient in Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office;
– Have experience using Pointcarre weave CAD software;
– Have a full UK drivers licence.
Bristol Weaving Mill Production Assistant Responsibilities:
• Supply chain management; liaising with suppliers to help manage price, lead-times, stock levels and ordering of materials in line with project critical paths.
• Organising sub-contractors for spinning, warping, weaving, finishing and other external processes such as cut-and-sew and embroidery. This also includes giving clear technical direction in the BWM format and maintaining an organised record and filling system.
• Hand-weaving of production lengths including sectional warping, threading, knotting on, reeding and hand-weaving to a consistent pick-rate.
• Creation and organisation of CAD files for production designs including weave technical notes and data archiving.
• Liaising with BWM Sales and Design Manager and Technical Director to work on CAD designs and hand-woven samples ready for industrial application.
• Working with the BWM Technical Director to calculate materials, wastage and shrinkage for each client project.
• Sourcing new yarn suppliers and maintaining supplier relationships.
• Stock-takes and ordering including issuing Purchase Orders for ordering of yarn and other BWM essentials such as cones, rolls and packaging.
• Off-loom quality control and finishing, including checking and mending loom-state fabric, developing new finishes on hand-loom samples and finishing small runs of fabric and product in house.
• Setting-up, programming, operating and trouble-shooting all weaving looms including the industrial Dornier loom.
• Creating, checking and archiving punch-cards for the industrial Dornier dobby loom.
• Production scheduling and general mill administration such as maintaining client project files and fabric archiving.
• CAD work using Pointcarre weave software to create accurate design annotation.
• Translation of CAD files into weaving-mill tickets for external subcontractors.
• Packing and distribution of fabric rolls and client samples.
• Organisation and recording of all external textile testing results, including the creation of Fabric Detail Sheets for all new qualities.
• Occasional visits to suppliers and industry events including finishers, yarn spinners, commission weavers, testing facilities and machinery suppliers.
Training is provided for operation of looms and industrial machinery, but a thorough understanding of hand-weaving and woven construction is essential for the role.
Submission deadline 2pm Monday 14th May 2018.Please apply by email with CV and images of your portfolio to Juliet@bristolweavingmill.co.uk