Woodland Mill, Dale St, Huddersfield HD3 4TG
We are looking to recruit an additional Technical Shift Dyer for our state of the art wool dyeing facility as we have expanded our capabilities. The role will boost and support the existing team and enhance the department’s progress in piece, package and top dyeing.
- To oversee the dyeing of wool in bulk.
- Working to orders, specifying a certain weight of material should be dyed a particular shade.
- To work to the colour ‘library’ (a record of previously dyed material) to see whether that particular shade has been ordered before. If it has, the dyer takes the ‘recipe’, or dye formulation, from the colour library and converts it to suit the weight and type of material required.
- If no data is available in the colour library, the order may be sent to the laboratory where technicians dye samples and work out a recipe.
- To pass instructions to the Colour Weigher and the Dyehouse Operative who prepare the material for dyeing. Decide which machine should be used and specify the dyeing conditions, such as temperature and the length of time the process will take.
- To check the progress while the material is being dyed.
- On completion to check a sample of material against the specified shade & make adjustments if not correct.
- To communicate with the Dyehouse Manager on all issues, e.g. new dyes and manning.
- Ensure all staff working in the lab understand all the H&S rules and procedures.
- To mentor and train employees and Apprentices within this department.
- To work to ISO 9001 & 14001 standards
- All Dyehouse Operatives and Colour Weighers working on the shift.
- All Dyehouse equipment.
The role reports directly to the Dyehouse Manager.
GCSE level or equivalent with a Grade C in Math, English and a strong Grade in Chemistry
Preferred: SDC qualified
Skills / Competencies
- Excellent aptitude for colour
- Excellent communication
- Computer literate
- In-depth knowledge of colour
- Work to ISO 9001 & 14001 standards (training can be provided)
Preferable: minimum of 3 years dyeing wool (top, piece, package or any combination of)
- Calm under pressure
- Organised & methodical
- Problem solver
- Excellent record keeper
Full time, permanent position
Hours: will vary at the start due to training but longer term may include afternoons, evenings and night shifts.
Break: 30 mins
Holidays: 30 days per year at set shutdown periods (all within school holidays)
Pension: People’s Pension Scheme
Upload your CV below