The objective of the project relates to the strengthening of research, technological development and innovation to assure the sustainability of the T&C sector within the partner regions. It will be achieved through policy learning and capacity building activities on public policies supporting innovative, green and sustainable T&C production and processes.
The learning potential embedded in interregional exchange will result in the uptake of new good practices and projects by the partner regions to support excellence in R&D, to promote investments by enterprises, to develop innovative skills of stakeholders, and in a deeper integration between research and innovation policies for the sector’s sustainability.
Sustainability driven research and innovation will concentrate on production processes and product development by:
- improving recycling and reducing waste disposal
- decreasing water consumption and allowing energy saving
- reducing the environmental impact of the chemical substances used by the sector
- accompanying the industrial reconversion efforts towards smart sustainable textiles
- promoting the utilisation of natural fibres and locally produced raw materials
- fostering eco-creativity for new applications.
The project is funded under the Interreg (ERDF) programme. The lead partner is the Municipality of Prato. There are 8 other partners including the TCoE. The project started on 16th April 2016 and is due to complete on 19th June 2018.